The MeeGo project today announced the availability of the MeeGo 1.2 release. This release is intended to provide a solid base line from which device vendors and developers can start creating software for a range of device categories. In this sense it can be seen as the first mature release of the core platform. Also available today is version 1.2 of the MeeGo SDK and the first MeeGo tablet developer preview release (Tablet UX).
The MeeGo 1.2 Core OS is described as providing a complete set of enabling technologies for mobile computing. Highlights include reference kernels for a number of Intel Atom and ARMv7 platforms, a QML application framework, QT Mobility APIs and enhanced telephony and connectivity capabilities (HSPA, SIM toolkit, additional Bluetooth profiles, improved multimedia support and more).
More details are available in the release notes.
The MeeGo 1.2 release also contains updates for a number of the UX releases and the MeeGo SDK:
- Netbook UX 1.2, with a complete set of core applications.
- In-Vehicle Infotainment (IVI) UX, including a sample IVI homescreen and speech recognition enabled application launcher.
- Tablet Deverloper Preview (see below)
MeeGo SDK 1.2 (see below)
MeeGo Tablet Developer Preview
As described on the MeeGo website:
This release provides a touch-optimized user interface for MeeGo tablets, introducing the new panels UI concept and including a suite of built-in applications for Web browsing, personal information management and media consumption. This project is a work-in-progress under active development and considered pre-alpha.
Meego 1.2 Developer Edition as on the N900
MeeGo 1.2 running on ExoPC showing Photos application
The Tablet UX includes:
- A panels based homescreen concept (providing fast access to settings, applications and content).
- A traditional grid view of applications.
- Web browser optimised for touch interaction.
- Multimedia and PIM application suite
- Unified settings framework
- MeeGo UI guidelines, which give a good overview of how the MeeGo Tablet UI is expected to work.
- and more…
The Tablet UX can be installed on to an ExoPC Tablet on the Intel Pinetrail Platform.
MeeGo SDK 1.2
As described on the MeeGo Developer website:
The MeeGo 1.2 SDK release provides the latest tools for creating and debugging MeeGo applications for tablets, netbooks, and handheld devices. The Qt Creator-based development environment with integrated help, along with Qt Simulator, and a full virtual machine (QEMU), enables the developer to create applications ready for submission to an appstore, with or without target hardware.
Version 1.2 of the SDK supports Windows 7 and Windows XP, Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 and Deora 13 and 14. Support is planned for Ubuntu 11.04, Fedora 15 and Mac OS in due course.